Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is among the most common gastrointestinal disorders seen by physicians and accounts for roughly 3.5 million office visits yearly in the United States affecting up to 58 million. In fact, an estimated one out of every five Americans suffers from IBS, and the average age of onset is between 25 and 45 years, with prevalence of the disease declining with age.
While IBS has become something of a ‘catch-all’ diganosis, there are some tell-tale signs and symptoms that include:
- Onset of abdominal pain linked to more frequent bowel movements
- Looser stools associated with the onset of pain
- Relief of pain by passage of stool
- Noticeable abdominal bloating
- Feeling of incomplete evacuation more than 25% of the time
- Diarrhea with mucus more than 25% of the time
While IBS comes in many shapes and sizes there do appear to be two major cateogires – IBS with constiaption and IBS with Diarrhea.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is among the most common gastrointestinal disorders seen by physicians affecting up to 58 million people in the US. On today’s podcast, we’ll discuss the causes and sypmtoms of IBS, and what you can do to combat it, whether you’re IBS/Constiaption, IBS/Diahhrea or somewhere in between. Special guest Brenda Watson, N.D., C.N.C.